Friday, May 13, 2016

Music: Interview with Talented Singer/Musician Kelle Jansky

Singer and musician Kelle Jansky has just debuted her new EP. We caught up with her to find out more about this talented singer and what her plans are. Read on to discover a new talent!
 
Kelle, introduce yourself - let us know a bit about you and your background.

My name is Kelly O'Connor. I was born and raised in Long Island, NY and now live in Las Vegas, NV. I chose "Kelle Jansky" as my stage name because I've always been interested in everything related to outer space, and I landed on "Jansky" because it's a unit of spectral irradiance and also flows nicely with my nickname "Kel", which I embellished a bit to the spelling of "Kelle".  

That's very creative! When did you start singing?

I started singing around age 12. When I was in elementary school, I developed a severe form of social anxiety and depression- to the point where I couldn't leave my house. My parents decided to enroll me in a performing arts summer camp to see if it would pry me out of my shell. Not only did it rid me of social anxiety, but it developed my passion and propelled me into weekly vocal lessons. 

Amazing! And it propelled you into stardom! Do you also write the lyrics and compose the songs?

Besides "The Sound", which is a The 1975 cover, I wrote all of my
songs. Late at night. Or early in the morning (However you perceive 3 A.M.). I try to write in my most vulnerable state, because although vulnerability is frowned upon, I think it's necessary for an honest song. #NoFilter 
 
As for the composition of the songs, I created all of the music on my crappy music software, and it was totally re-vamped by my amazing producer, Frank Klepacki.  He turned my sonic vision into a reality. 

You're very talented. And yes, vulnerability brings the best in every artist! What genre do you consider yourself and what's your greatest influence?

What I think is kind of cool about my Sadurn EP is that each song is different in mood and tempo, but all still fit the same vibe. They're all rooted in Pop.

"Short Circuit" is a catchy pop/rock song inspired by bands like No Doubt.
"Anti-Venom" is a mysterious sounding pop song inspired by artists like Halsey and Britney Spears.
"Dopamine" is a ballad- the most honest song I've ever written. I can't even think of an influence for this one because all of it just came straight from the vault of unspoken words in my head.
"Sadurday" is a super catchy pop dance song influenced by artists like Ke$ha.
"The Sound" is a chilled-out cover of the popular jam by The 1975.


They sound great! So, when was the first time you performed live and how did you feel?

I feel more comfortable on stage than I do in my own bedroom. The first time I performed live was at age 12 on the famous boardwalk in Atlantic City, NJ. There was a live karaoke event, and I got on stage to sing a cover of "Sometimes" by Britney Spears. I can't explain how incredible it felt to capture the attention of a crowd and watch them sing along with me, doubling as a support system and easing my nerves. Even though it wasn't my song they were singing, I knew that someday it would be. 

I love how your dream is real! Is there a specific performance you feel was your best so far? If so, where and why?

One of the performances I enjoyed the most was when I covered "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash on the famous Fremont Street in Downtown Las Vegas. It was my first time performing with a live band, and it was just an awesome collaborative performance with the biggest crowd to date.

It must really be awesome to play live. What do you enjoy the most between your interaction with the fans?

My internet friends! My absolute favorite encounter was at the MGM
Grand in Las Vegas.  A sweet girl ran up to me with tears in her eyes and told me that I'm her role model and that she couldn't believe she was actually meeting me.  My sister captured that moment on video and I watch it often. I've met some other followers in various states, which absolutely blows my mind.  It's one thing seeing a username, but meeting the human behind the screen is something else. There are thousands of them, which is baffling to me, but I try to be as interactive as I can because I owe them everything- they've helped provide me with so many amazing opportunities, including my job. 

What a beautiful story and thanks for sharing! What are your plans for this year?

I plan on touring around Vegas, specifically Downtown. I'm also already in the process of writing songs for my full-length album.  I'm doing a lot this year, and it's all great stuff.

Fantastic! Hope to see you touring all over the country! Where can we find and buy your music?

My Sadurn EP is available for digital purchase on iTunes! 

Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?

I've always been obsessed with happy music accompanied by sad lyrics. I've always been fascinated with double entendres. I've always been drawn to spacey, ethereal sounds. I hope you listen to my Sadurn EP and realize that you like these things as well.
Thank you for this interview!  
 
 
Click on the links below to listen to Kelle performing:

 
 
Thank you for your time, Kelle and we wish you success in your career! 
 
To follow Kelle Jansky:

No comments :

Post a Comment